Pages

4/4/08

Better than the Mousy Masses


Could they be any cuter?  I was doing research online about "ginger" people.  My beloved Reed falls into this category.  I heard about a group vowing to keep the "ginger" population from dying out.  I'm all for it!  I absolutely love redheads.  Always had a soft spot (that Belnap family will do that to ya eh?) for carrot tops.


Caused by mutated MC1R gene
Most prevalent in far northern and western Europe
May have survived due to increased vitamin D production in pale-skinned
'Sexual selection' also possible
Disagreement over redheads' reputed higher pain tolerance

I've noticed and been worried about "gingers" getting persecuted. So when does this date from? Some claim it could be a throwback to anti-Irish sentiment from the 19th Century and before when the Irish, with a greater prevalence of red hair, were regarded as ethnically inferior.

Redheads are feared because they are believed in folklore to be the devil's children and have red hair because they were conceived during their mother's menstruation.A welsh proverb says "os bydd goch, fe fydd gythreulig" or "if he's redhaired then he is of the devil". Yesterday's superstition has become today's teasing. 
L, Wales

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say keep the fire-heads coming! But, no offense, don't have them look like that gal, SCARY BABY! I'm a little afraid of her, I think it's a her, she's wearing pink!

Anonymous said...

I too have a soft spot for the red heads! Got to love all that spun gold...that what all the old ladies say to Gavin:)

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the "devil's children" also came from how so many red-heads are so strong-willed. Just a thought. I haven't seen the temper in Reed though, and Gavin too, they are both so sweet.