Pages

9/13/09

Things I love about Homeschooling

John Taylor Gatto gave his acceptance speech for New York City teacher of the year...some of the things I found so relevant to our public school system today.
* It is absurd and anti-life to be part of a system that compels you to sit in confinement with people of exactly the same age and social class. That system effectively cuts you off from the immense diversity of life and the synergy of variety. . .
* It is absurd and anti-life to be part of a system that compels you to listen to a stranger reading poetry when you want to learn to construct buildings, or to sit with a stranger discussing the construction of buildings when you want to read poetry.
* It is absurd and anti-life to be part of a system that compels you to move from cell to cell at the sound of a gong for every day of your natural youth in an institution that allows you no privacy and even follows you into the sanctuary of your home demanding that you do its "homework".”

+++and+++

5. The children I teach are cruel to each other, they lack compassion for misfortune, they laugh at weakness, and they have contempt for people whose need for help shows too plainly.

Most of the homeschoolers I know are compassionate and empathetic children. Parents of homeschoolers have the time to teach empathy and to provide opportunities for children to serve in the community. Many of the homeschool families I know take their children to volunteer in the soup kitchen or rescue mission. The sweetest sound to hear is brothers saying to each other "I'm sorry!" "You're my best friend" "I love you so much"

6. The children I teach are uneasy with intimacy or candor.

Homeschool children have the freedom to be themselves and to not feel judged by peers or pressure to conform to habits and personalities they observe in the classroom. When my children are quirky or wierd at home I usually think it's cute. Our children receive acceptance for who they are instead of embarrassment.

No comments: